This is two versions of a dance with an unusual transition in the A1, where you go from a half hey to a hands across star.
Grit & Oats
by Luke Donforth
(8) 1/2 Hey, men passing Left shoulders, women catch Left hands
(8) Left Hands across star 3/4 (men behind partner)
(16) NEW Neighbor balance and swing
(8) Long lines, forward and back
(8) Women allemande Right 1-1/2
(16) Partner balance and swing
As a variation, you can make B1 Circle Left 3/4, Partner DSD; but I like the community moment of the long lines.
These grew out of playing around with Bill Olson’s dance “Rod’s Grits”.